Friday, August 20, 2010

Balcony with a view...

So, in Mexico, this is the view that my brother and sister-in-law have from their balcony...are you as jealous as I am?

They have a cool, modern condo that couldn't get any closer to the ocean.  They were trying to figure out how they are going to set up the balcony.  Their requirements were that the space has to be good for relaxing, entertaining and maybe growing some plants/herbs. They didn't want too much or too bulky of furniture, and if the pieces could be stackable for easy storage, even better.

view from inside...
the balcony is not a rectangle, but more of a trapezoid?!  Ry - is that the right term?

I put together some initial thoughts for them, and they found some pieces that they liked, but due to a time crunch with the move and slow shipping times from stores, they are going to furnish this once they get settled in. They have agreed to do an 'after' post for us...can't wait!

1.  Maybe a fun side table? ( I found one of these in Newburyport, and I am kicking myself for not buying it...it was only $65.  I am sure one of these could be found cheaper.)
Amazon - Elephant Side Table Ceramic
$179
2.  Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20147713
$49.99
3.  Modern Funiture - $995
4.  My personal favorite - CB2 - Igloo Chair - $149
5.  I think an outdoor rug would be a great way to bring in some color/design interest.  If you wanted something contemporary, I liked the black/ivory one.
Home Infatuation - $89.99
6.  A small side table may be nice depending on the configuration of the balcony
Urban Outfitters - *on sale - $19.99
7.  Good deal...
Target - $94
8.  CB2 - Eddy Round Outdoor table - $179
9.  CB2 - Rex Grey armchair (goes well with Eddy table from CB2) - $69.95
10.  CB2 - metropolitan chair - $139
11.  Outdoor Rug (I think this one would hide a lot of dirt/sins) - 42'' x 66'' $124.95
12. Outdoor Rug (learned about this from Sommer's blog - and it's a great deal!)
Frontgate - 3'9" x 5'5" - $60


My favorite pick is the igloo chair from CB2.  I would like a couple of these for our backyard.  Add to the growing wish list...WAIT...they are not available anymore...that is sad.  And, they don't get very good reviews...


My favorite plant idea is one that I saw on Oh Happy Day a few weeks ago...I still can't get enough of succulents! 

But, they wanted some herbs, so Ryan was looking into building some sort of frame to hang pots on...I am sure it will be genius, whatever he comes up with.

Stay tuned....

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it will be a lovely place! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bro moved to Mexico???? Where?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ikea has these great little rail system where you can hook buckets (with small holes in the bottom) to the rail...it would be great for planting herbs in. We have one that we use for my daughters art center...we put crayons, markers, chalk, etc in the different buckets.

    ReplyDelete