Monday, November 1, 2010

Pelmet Boxes...

Our kitchen really needed a little something..some infusion of color, for sure.  And, fabric that would tie together the buttercup yellow walls with my red matted "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" print.

Once again, I relied on Jenny's instructions.  I followed her tutorial on how to make Pelmet boxes

I ordered two yards of Robert Allen's Kiki Pinata fabric.  I was hoping it would be enough to serve as a curtain to cover up the space below a shorter section of the kitchen counter and to make a couple of pelmet boxes.

I used some leftover boxes from our move, and got to work.

First, I cut shapes out of the boxes...(notice that the larger box has two folds in it due to the size of the box I used...this has since caused some issues b/c the pelmet box is now bowing out in those spots!)

I tried to reinforce those spots...but that wasn't good enough :)
Then, I laid the batting out, and cut it to size.  Then, I repeated that with the fabric.
Then, I used the staple gun and securely attached the batting/fabric.  It took me a while to figure out how to hang these bad boys, but I finally 'screwed' small eye hooks that I had from some picture hanging kits into the back of the pelmet box, and hung the eye hooks from some picture hangers that I nailed into the wall...see below picture...

Eye hook...

Then I slid the hook onto the bottom picture hanger...

I love the pop of color...the larger pelmet box is bowing out on the folds in the box, so I REALLY need to fix that :)

I used the fabric for the pelmet boxes and as curtain coming down from this random section of counter that was set lower than the rest.  We stash Glory's food, our recycling bins, and a three drawer organizer behind the curtain...thank goodness for hiding places!

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make a pelmet box for forever...maybe I will now! Yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I've been wanting to try those for my kitchen, too. Great fabric, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much, ladies! it was fun and easy - my kind of project :)

    ReplyDelete