Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kitchen Island - Ikea hack

* 2/28/10 - Update:
Ryan found the following towel rack that I like SO much better than the one that I bought.  I may have to stop at a Container Store and get one:


In our old house, I wanted a small cart for the kitchen.  I found one at Ikea that I wanted, and it took a LONG time to get it, but once I did, I was so excited to have a little extra storage and counter space for a great price!
 
Thanks for assembling for me, dad!

I sanded down the cart minus the top, and then I stained it a dark brown.  It was the first time I had stained anything (what a pain!), and the Ikea wood didn't want to absorb much of the stain.  Nevertheless, if you look at it from a distance, it isn't too horrible.

Glory sitting with the cart right after I finished it...
 
 Even though our kitchen was teeny in GA, I loved it. 
 

Since I have finished it, I have thought it would be nice to have a towel rack on one of the ends.  I looked and looked and couldn't find what I was wanting.  I was at Target a couple days ago, and I picked up this 'over the door' towel rack, thinking I might be able to make this work on the cart. 

 

I unscrewed this side piece and just slipped the hook over it.  I think I will buy another hook next time I go to Target so that there can be a hook on either side of the middle screw to balance it out.  Wow, look at how bad of a stain job that is!


It's nice to have a place to hang a towel now!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment